Thursday, June 3, 2010

Designing my Turtle Quilt

I have under taken this quilt that I have designed from scratch! I even used my graphic design skills to create a digital pattern.

Here is how it all started... I wanted to make a Sea Turtle Quilt for my son's nursery. I fell in love with this brown pok-a-dotted fabric. I decided it would make a great back. I found some fat quarters that would look go
od with the brown fabric. So I had my center piece fabric, I just didn't have a sea turtle pattern.

Well, I wouldn't let a little thing like that stop me... so I searched online for sea turtle pictures or drawings. I finally found the perfect photo, so I imported it into photoshop and erased the center until I just had the outline
and voila (that is suposed to be that french term, I don't know if I spelled it correct) Anyway, here is what I ended up with.
Once I had my sea turtle ironed onto my fabric, I took a photo of it and imported that into Adobe Illistrator. I then designed how I wanted the final quilt to be. I figured out how I plan to do the boarder and corners. The only difference in the final draft is that there will be a baby sea turtle crawling out of an egg in the upper left hand block.


I have chosen the fabric for the boarder, it will help bring out the blue/teal dots in the brown fabric.


I still have to finish the applique stitching, but I haven't decided if I will do it by hand or machine. I am very excited to get to work on the boarder since it will be the first time I work with triangles!

No comments:

Post a Comment