Sunday, June 20, 2010

Baby Quilt with Applique and Easy Binding


I took an applique class a couple months ago and I finally finished the quilt I started. It is a baby blanket with an adorable teddy bear on it.

I used fusible web to stick the bear on the fabric and then hand stitched a button hole stitch around him.

I wanted to give the teddy bear some depth so that it didn't look like he was just floating in the middle of the quilt. I accomplished this by machine quilting in both horizontal and vertical lines.


I also wanted some areas of the quilt to be puffy so I didn't quilt around eve
ry square.

I finished off with a satin-ish material. I used 3.5 inch strips and ironed about a quarter inch fold along both edges of the material, then I pressed the material in half.
I then "learned as I went" and applied the binding to the out side of my quilt. I probably did it completely wrong, in the traditional sense of binding, but it worked. I used the basic concept formed from looking at the satin finishing on a baby blanket from my childhood. I just looked at how it was sewn on and mimicked it. I don't know if there is a term for this type of finish on a quilt. (If there is and you know it, leave it in the comments).

I am happy with the result. I learned a lot. For example, next time I finish a quilt like this, I will use 5 inch strips. I will also do the corners a bit differently! All in all, I had fun and my baby has a new blanket!


No comments:

Post a Comment